Our third online workshop was first held in April with a full house, and again in June at the request of a nearby school district that hopes to eventually train every staff and faculty member on this essential topic.
Culture & Communication Workshop: February 2021
Activities included live polls, communication exercises, video clips, readings, breakout discussions, and sharing of personal cultural objects. Participants also had an opportunity to meet with their school team to reflect on next steps & implementation of the learning. Their final comments have been compiled into this word cloud -->.
Participants were enthusiastic about their experience:
* Awesome class. Very well presented and very engaging.
* I love the safe/brave space that you both created for all of us.
* A lot to think about and I will [now] always ask
who is not at the table.
* Appreciate all the content, history, and discussions.
* I enjoyed our time together and learned a lot!
* Eye opening, thought provoking, honest, collaborative,
refreshing, meaningful and necessary.
* Definitely can see that we can make positive changes
and create a world family in our schools.
* Can't wait to update my equity team on this work
and support our staff in the coming years.
Co-facilitators: Dr. Randie Gottlieb, Dr. Daudi Abe, Julia L. Moran
The Reality of Race Workshop: April & June 2021
"The entire workshop was excellent, and I highly recommend it! I thought the program developers and facilitators have truly understood how to break down the topic of race with facts, all the while highlighting the importance of (and demonstrating themselves) thoughtfulness, acknowledgement, and respect. Anchoring this program is a true understanding of how to start and continue conversations about race. Bravo Team UnityWorks!"
Dr. Candace Veecock, Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics/ELT
University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China
Our second online workshop was sold out with 35 educators enrolled! Participants included principals, teachers, school counselors, parapros and other staff
from districts across Washington State.